As I mentioned in a post earlier this month, I plan on taking the HSK (Hànyǔ Shuǐpíng Kǎoshì / 汉语水平考试) exam at the end of this year (2015). I am hoping to sit the Level 4 exam, and so, I have a lot of preparation ahead of me over the next 12 months.
I recently took my first practice test and scored 160/200. It’s not bad and if I were taking the Level 1 exam, it would be a passing score. My intent, however, is to jump right in at Level 4 and to pass the test, somewhere between levels 3-6, you need a score of at least 180/200. According to this site, you need to at least pass Level 4 with a score of 180 or greater.
In preparation for the exam, I have been doing quite a bit of research on the test and the experience others have had taking it and so I thought I’d do a roundup of articles that I have found helpful for those interested.
Tips & Resources for the HSK Exam
Online Resources for the HSK Exam
- HSK Test Tips from Living a Dream in China
- HSK Discussions on Chinese-Forums
- How to Know You’re Ready to Take the HSK from Ninchanese
- 24 Battle Tested Tips for the HSK from FluentU
- 9 Tips to Help You Pass the HSK from DigMandarin
- Definition of Chinese Language Levels and how they correspond with the EU Classification System (although how exact their connection is can be highly debated according to other resources)
- Hanzi Chinese HSK Vocab Sheets
- A list of Chinese Grammar Points Organized by HSK Level
Text and Book Resources for the HSK Exam
- Stimulated Tests of the New Chinese Proficiency Test HSK (HSK Level 1) (Discs Included) (Chinese Edition)
- 30 Days-New HSK-1-Simulation Test Questions-with one MP3 (Chinese Edition)
- Chinese Flash Cards Kit Volume 1: Characters 1-349: HSK Elementary Level (Audio CD Included)
Practice and Study Resources for the HSK Exam
- HSK Sets on Memrise
- Chinese Lessons on iTalki (many of the tutors teach lessons specifically geared towards the exam)
And of course I will continue to add HSK Resources to this page as I stumble across them in my studies. If you took or are planning to take the HSK Exam, I’d love to hear about you are preparing or how you prepared in the comments below!
What's Your Reaction?
My name is Shannon Kennedy and I'm the language lover, traveler, and foodie behind Eurolinguiste. I'm also the Resident Polyglot at Drops and the Head Coach of the Fluent in 3 Months Challenge.