Friends, I am so very excited about this coming month and the month after. I have some really exciting stuff in store and I can’t wait to share it with you!
If you’re new around these parts, #clearthelist is a linkup where we share our monthly goals, and by we, I mean myself, Lindsay of Lindsay Does Languages, Kris Broholm of Actual Fluency, and Angel Pretot of French Lover.
We’d absolutely love for you to a part of our community. You can join us by adding a link to your own goal post below.
So let’s get started, sharing our goals and motivating one another to #clearthelist!
Please feel free to tag your posts or photos with either #clearthelist on your favorite social media channels!
Last Month’s Highlights on Instagram
Last Month’s Blog Highlights
The Citadel Zoo in Besançon, France // An old citadel in East France with an incredible view of the city.
Doors in the Caribbean // Some doors with great personality from our Caribbean cruise.
Glasgow, Scotland // A few photos from my rainy misadventure to Glasgow, Scotland.
My 3 Day Italian Language Refresh // Plus a free worksheet with 100+ Conversational Words and Phrases in Italian.
Applying the Minimalist Approach to Language // Why I believe less is more when it comes to language study.
Last Month’s Goals
Continue filling the gaps in my Mandarin vocabulary I’ve noticed since Little Linguist’s arrival. // First time ever I can say that I really didn’t do this.
Read one more language related book. // Yes! I read some great stuff that I plan on sharing as a part of the Language Reading Challenge.
Transcribe the dialogues from Zelda Ocarina of Time in Mandarin Chinese that I currently have saved. // Nope.
Once again get ahead reading my language reading challenge books. // Nope.
Keep working through my YouTube Queue. // Yes. But the number of videos is still way too high.
Keep reading my other Pooh Bear book in Chinese // Nope.
Keep adding words from Chinese readings into my Memrise Chinese deck AND THEN STUDY THEM. // Nope.
Have something I’m reading that’s in French or Spanish. // Yes.
Start to work through all those podcasts taking space on my phone. // Yes! I made significant progress with this.
This Month’s Goals
Continue filling the gaps in my Mandarin vocabulary I’ve noticed since Little Linguist’s arrival. // Since I didn’t do this last month.
Read one more language related book. // I bought some fantastic stuff at the used book store I can’t wait to read.
Transcribe the dialogues from Zelda Ocarina of Time in Mandarin Chinese that I currently have saved. // Again, since I didn’t do this last month.
Get ahead reading my language reading challenge books. // Because I like being on top of things.
Keep working through my YouTube Queue. // Since the number of videos in it is just getting out of hand.
Read something in Chinese // I need a break from Winnie the Pooh. The book I was reading is around 200 pages, and I need to change things up so I don’t burn out.
Keep adding words from Chinese readings into my Memrise Chinese deck AND THEN STUDY THEM. // Since again, I didn’t do this last month.
Have something I’m reading that’s in French or Spanish. // I want to keep this up because I really feel it’s helping me.
Keep working through my language podcasts. // I made incredible progress with this last month and I hope to maintain it this month.
Resources I Used This Month
A quick recap on the materials I am using.
What I Am Using to Learn Chinese
- LingQ – my new favourite tool, I kid you not
- iTalki Lessons – I have weekly Chinese lessons
- Memrise – I do 12,000 points minimum per day (this will shift to 18,000 when I start studying my personalized Chinese deck)
- Antosch & Lin email newsletters
- Chinese version of the Nintendo 64
What I’m Using to Brush Up/Improve My French:
- Immersion (we speak franglais at home)
- Reading books written by French authors
- Listening to French radio/podcasts
- Chatting with family
- Watching movies and other videos in French
What I am Using to Learn Russian:
- Perfectionnement Russe
- iTalki Lessons
- The penmanship practice books from Russian Step-by-Step (a lot of you have been asking me about these)
What I am Using to Learn Korean:
What I am Using to Learn Spanish:
What I’m Using for Little Linguist
- Pooh Bear and Baby Bear
- Little Pim
- Finding Dory
- Day-to-day interaction
- His Chinese lullaby is from Mantou Riji, I also sing him “You are my Sunshine” in Chinese, and his French is Une Souris Verte
- Flashcards from Tuttle
Resources That Aren’t Language Specific
The Biggest Lesson I Am Taking Away from This Month
Good time management.
This month was really tough for me for a variety of reasons. I have a big project that I’m working on and it ate into the majority of my study time. I didn’t get all the things I wanted to get done, done. But I still managed to study language every day because I listened to a ton of audio in my car.
I also lost my grandfather this month and I needed to take some time to emotionally come to grips with it. It’s still really tough for me to think about, but I’m healing.
I’m super excited to share something that I’ve been working on for you this month. It’s a free 7-day email course that’s starting on June 19th called “The Busy Language Learner”. You can sign up here.
Don’t forget that I would love to hear all about your goals for this month! Please join us by adding your post to the linkup below!
Clear The List Linkup Rules:
1. Share your goal post whether it includes your aspirations for the month or year. Submissions unrelated to the theme or links to your homepage will be deleted.
2. Link back to this post. You can use our button if you wish.
4. THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT RULE: Please visit the site of the person who linked up immediately before you and leave them an encouraging comment! By hosting this linkup, we’re hoping to create a positive community where we can all share our goals. If you do not do this, you will be removed from the linkup.
5. Share on social media using #ClearTheList