Welcome to second to last Clear the List for 2017! Are you ready to start a new year?
This month I spent at home after an incredible time traveling in September. I went to Singapore and Bali, and will be sharing tons of posts about my adventures here as well as on Instagram.
If you’re new around these parts, #clearthelist is a linkup where we share our monthly goals, and by we, I mean myself, Lindsay of Lindsay Does Languages, Kris Broholm of Actual Fluency, and Angel Pretot of French Lover.
We’d absolutely love for you to a part of our community. You can join us by adding a link to your own goal post below.
So let’s get started, sharing our goals and motivating one another to #clearthelist!
Please feel free to tag your posts or photos with either #clearthelist on your favorite social media channels!
Last Month’s Highlights on Instagram
Last Month’s Blog Highlights
Scuba Diving Bali with Manta Manta Diving // My friend and I had an incredible time diving in Bali. The vast number of fish in that area is amazing.
Food & Wine Experiences at the Ritz Carlton, Laguna Niguel // This past summer I went to a couple of the food and wine experiences at the Ritz Carlton and I summed them up in this post.
How Procrastination Will Destroy Your Language Studies // And tips to overcome it.
Last Month’s Goals
Continue filling the gaps in my Mandarin vocabulary I’ve noticed since Little Linguist’s arrival. // I resumed my Mandarin lessons after a break and am working on learning a lot more colloquial language. I also try to read more often with Little Linguist (he loves books).
Read the next Language Reading Challenge book on my list. // Done!
Complete month two of the Add1Challenge. // Done! I was a little bit late with my day 30 video, but I’m really getting a lot out of the focus.
This Month’s Goals
Continue filling the gaps in my Mandarin vocabulary I’ve noticed since Little Linguist’s arrival. // Like I keep saying, this will be a never ending project. And it’s wonderful. He’s starting to get interested in specific things, so this is definitely going to help me build the right vocabulary.
Read the next Language Reading Challenge book on my list. // If you haven’t already, you can join us on Facebook!
Complete month three of the Add1Challenge. // I can’t believe I’m already heading into the final month of the challenge. Three months really went by fast, but I feel as though my Croatian is really showing it. I still need to work on vocabulary acquisition, but I’m getting there. Far more than the last time I studied the language.
Resources I Used This Month
A quick recap on the materials I am using.
What I Am Using to Learn Chinese
- LingQ – my new favourite tool, I kid you not
- iTalki Lessons – I have weekly Chinese lessons
- Memrise – I do 18,000 points minimum per day
- Several new books I read with Little Linguist
- Chinese version of the Nintendo 64
- Yoyo Chinese
What I Am Using to Learn Croatian
- iTalki Lessons
- Get by in Croatian (teaching helps me better understand the language too)
- Bosnian Croatian Serbian – both the workbook and the textbook
What I’m Using to Brush Up/Improve My French:
- Immersion (we speak franglais at home)
- Reading books written by French authors
- Listening to French radio/podcasts
- Chatting with family
- Watching movies and other videos in French
- Playing Skyrim (well, all my PS4 games) in French (I plan on swapping the language to Chinese once I’ve completed my first play through)
What I am Using to Learn Russian:
On a break from Russian for the moment.
What I am Using to Learn Korean:
I am on a break from Korean
What I am Using to Learn Spanish:
I am not actively studying Spanish.
What I’m Using to Learn Japanese:
I am not actively studying Japanese.
What I’m Using for Little Linguist
- Pooh Bear and Baby Bear
- Little Pim
- Finding Dory & Finding Nemo
- Disney bedtime stories
- Day-to-day interaction
- His Chinese lullaby is from Mantou Riji, I also sing him “You are my Sunshine” in Chinese, and his French is Une Souris Verte
- Flashcards from Tuttle
Resources That Aren’t Language Specific
The Biggest Lesson I Am Taking Away from This Month
This past month, I picked the minimizing I was working on back up and it’s made a huge difference in my language studies. I read “Spark Joy”, another inspiring book from Marie Kondo and it made me want to get moving again. I made another pass at a few of my possessions and clearing my physical clutter really went a long way towards clearing my mental clutter.
For the first time, I went through my books. I tended to keep a ton of them because, you know, “just in case”. That, and a few years ago I read this study about how more books in the house makes kids smarter. Now that I have a child I had this mental block about minimizing my books because of it. But I finally did it. I had several French readers that were below my level, several Chinese books in Traditional Chinese rather than Simplified (that I had bought before I realized that there was a difference).
Now that I don’t have all these excess learning resources that I have hanging around, I feel less overwhelmed. There’s less that I have to “get to” and it allows me to focus on what I have. And in doing that, I feel less guilty about the things I’m not using and to make the most of what I have.
Don’t forget that I would love to hear all about your goals for this month! Please join us by adding your post to the linkup below!
Clear The List Linkup Rules:
1. Share your goal post whether it includes your aspirations for the month or year. Submissions unrelated to the theme or links to your homepage will be deleted.
2. Link back to this post. You can use our button if you wish.
4. THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT RULE: Please visit the site of the person who linked up immediately before you and leave them an encouraging comment! By hosting this linkup, we’re hoping to create a positive community where we can all share our goals. If you do not do this, you will be removed from the linkup.
5. Share on social media using #ClearTheList
<div align="center"><a href="http://eurolinguiste.com/tag/clear-the-list" title="Set your language learning goals as a part of the Clear the List Link Up hosted by Shannon Kennedy of Eurolinguiste, Lindsay Dow of Lindsay Does Languages, Angel Pretot of French Lover, and Kris Broholm of Actual Fluency"><img src="http://eurolinguiste.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/clear-the-list-sidebar-1.jpg" alt="Set your language learning goals as a part of the Clear the List Link Up hosted by Shannon Kennedy of Eurolinguiste, Lindsay Dow of Lindsay Does Languages, Angel Pretot of French Lover, and Kris Broholm of Actual Fluency" style="border:none;" /></a></div>
01 Mar 2018 - Language Resources
01 Feb 2018 - Language Resources