LOCATION: I lived in Belfast, Northern Ireland, as well as France, and I now reside in California, USA.
FAVORITES: Coffee, adventuring, learning new languages, creating and discovering new music, martial arts, crossing things off my travel wishlist, and cooking.
LANGUAGES: French, English, Mandarin Chinese, Croatian, Russian, Korean, Italian, Spanish and German.
More About Shannon Kennedy
Hello! It’s a pleasure to meet you – I am glad you’re here!
My name is Shannon and I am the blogger/language lover/adventurer behind Eurolinguiste.
I started writing this blog while trekking through West France and Northern Ireland as I finished up my Master’s degree in Music/Ethnomusicology from Queen’s University, Belfast. My dissertation was on the various dynamics between music and language, and it was what really inspired me to delve into languages wholeheartedly.
Since, Eurolinguiste has become the place where I share my journey in language learning with others interested in pursuing something similar. It’s here that I document the tools I use, my personal methodologies and progress, and tips for tackling a new language for fellow language learners.
It’s also where I like to share my adventures, some of my favorite recipes, and the little bits I learn about the cultures and histories behind the languages that I’m learning.
When I’m not studying language, I am a musician and a composer, I love to compose and perform. And I love that my career often provides me with the opportunity to travel. Shameless plug: I have a few CDs out with my music. I also love to take photos, practice martial arts, make jewelry, experiment with classic recipes, and scuba dive (something I haven’t done in several years, but wish I still had time to do).
I speak French, English, and Chinese fluently , have dabbled in German, Italian, and Spanish to various degrees, and I am currently working my way towards better learning Russian, Croatian, and Korean. I’m also enjoying a bit of Japanese on the side.
So thank you for taking the time to visit my blog! I’m glad you’re here. I hope you join me in the comments, and if you do, I look forward to getting to know you!
PS. If you haven’t had enough of me, I also have a few other web sites you might be interested in checking out.
Shannon-Kennedy.com // My web site as an artist, composer, and singer/songwriter. For all the latest updates on my music, my releases, photographs of me rather than photographs I have taken, and more, visit my site.
AdviceforMusicians.com // The books that I’ve written thus far – one is a collection of advice for established musicians on various aspects of creating a music career (free), the second is a workbook to help improve your music branding, and the third is a guide and workbook to help you record an album.
A few other places where you can find things written by me:
- The Shy to Confident Introvert // Fluent in 3 Months
- Best Resources to Teach Your Child a Foreign Language // Mezzofanti Guild
- Dead Languages: How and Why to Learn a Dead Language // Fluent in 3 Months
- 10 Ways Low Confidence Holds Back Your Language Learning // Fluent in 3 Months
- How to Get Over Your Fear of Rejection // Fluent in 3 Months
- Bilingual Baby: How to Teach Your Baby Two Languages // Fluent in 3 Months
- How to Find a Language Exchange Partner // Fluent in 3 Months
- 35 Free Online Korean Language Classes and Resources // Fluent in 3 Months
- How to Stop Being Shy (and Start Learning a Language) // Fluent in 3 Months
- Assimil: An Honest Look at the Assimil Language Learning System // Fluent in 3 Months
- CEFR Levels: What They Are, Why They Matter, and How to Test Yourself // Fluent in 3 Months
- How to Learn French Vocabulary as a Food Lover (plus a French vocabulary freebie) // FluentLanguage.co.uk
- Naughty or Nice? How “Santa” Looks in Different Cultures // Fluent in 3 Months
- 5 Reasons to Learn a Language Before Traveling + 10 Resources to Help You Get Started // Language Reach
- 9 Reasons to Learn Croatian // Lindsay Does Languages
- Amazing Games with your Flashsticks // Flashsticks
- Learning Tones with WaiChinese // Sensible Chinese
- All About Croatian // Lindsay Does Languages
- 5 Ways to Make Music a Part of Your Language Learning // Antosch & Lin
- My Language Bucket List // FluentLanguage.co.uk
Interviews on my language learning process:
- Saxophonist and Polyglot: Interview with Shannon Kennedy (French Version) // Assimil
- Advice on Learning a New Language from People Who Speak Up to 16 // the Wayfarer
- 11 Expert Language Learners Give Their Tips on Making Time for Language // French Lover
- Why Have a Language Study Buddy // Lindsay Does Languages
- Actual Fluency Podcast Season 4 Episode 1 // Actual Fluency
- Language Immersion // English With Kirsty
- What is Fluency // Lingualift
- A Story of Two Languages at Once // Lingsprout
- Language Meanderings with Jonathan Huggins // Huggins International
- How Becoming a Musician Can Improve Your Languages // FluentLanguage.co.uk
- Interview with Shannon Kennedy // Polyglot Nerd (read the Portuguese or Spanish versions)
- Croatian and Mandarin Love Me: Eurolinguiste’s love affair with 汉语 and hrvatski // a Place like me in a Girl like this
- Interview with Shannon from Eurolinguiste.com // Krzysiek.cl
- Meet Shannon from Eurolinguiste // The Lady Errant
- Friends of Flashsticks // Flashsticks
- Bring Language Learning to Life with FluentU // EdTechReview (not an interview, but a quote)
- What Language Would You Want as a Mother Tongue // Lingualift
- Do Men and Women Learn Differently? // Lingualift
- 13 Brilliant Language Bloggers // FluentU